Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default shrink wrap storm windows?

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:40:11 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Has anybody had any experience with using those shrink wrap polyolefin
interior storm windows?

Either the DIY style, like http://www.ehow.com/way_5369715_diy-...m-windows.html

Or the commercial types, like
http://www.windotherm.com/engineeringtests.htm, one of many similar
products out there.

I've used the shrink-wrap and tape inside storms on a dwindling number
of windows each year. They work well, go up fairly easy, and
eliminate all infiltration as they are supposed to.

As the windows get replaced with energy star- low-e thermopanes, the
inside storms aren't worth the effort. [to me, anyway]

I'm down to one room that will get 3 new windows to replace the 100yr
old windows with 70 year old aluminum storms this summer. I won't
miss putting those shrink-wrap deals up anymore.

Jim