Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Laminating work bench

I'm not sure exactly what construction method you are proposing. If
you are making like a butcher block arrangement with the shorts glued
face-to-face with the 3/4" standing up you "might" be OK. However, I
still think the expansion factor will destroy any overlayment with non-
expanding plywood. If you are doing edge-to-edge glue up of the shorts
then for sure the expansion will kill any attachment to a ply overlay.
Maybe I am not following.

On Mar 17, 10:27*am, "
wrote:
Building a workbench with some maple I got. The maple is
in shorts. They fall between 3 and 5 inches across and
are planed to an even 3/4ths thickness. Length is variable as
well.

If I build a work bench top with this wood and use
plywood as a substrate, should I be concerned with
doing something on the underside? I know it's recommended
that if you veneer a top, it's wise to do both top and bottom, but
what about thicker wood?

Thanks,

MJ