Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default How to make Maple look like Walnut?

"Swingman" wrote

Indeed it seems to be spreading ... just about a year ago, and in many
high end homes, you started seeing cabinets, and furniture, that you used
to be able to buy only in border towns ... you know, knotty pine, rusty
nail joinery, finished in used motor oil du jour.

Back in the 70's, I used to make rustic style furniture. I started getting
requests to make "old spanish style" furniture. This was stuff made from
planks, with gate hardware for the hinges. And painted black. My stuff was
much nicer and had a good finish. But noooooo...., people wanted plain and
black. Of course, there was a lot of drug use during that time!

I remember one time, I finished a very large room divider-planter with a
built in aquarium and grow lights. My customer saw some imports with rough
hewn edges. She insisted on making all the outside edges rough hewn.
Sooooo...., I bought a drawknife and went to work. I worked for hours and
hours shaving big chunks off the edes of this very hard hemlock 2 X12's. I
stopped to sharpen the drawknife often.

I went to bed and slept hard and long. The next morning I could not get out
of bed. It took several attempts to stand up and I could not stand up
straight. It took days before I was recovered enough to stand up straight
and work again. I almost killed myself over those rough hewn edges. And I
got a bunch of requests for those too! I told them that it would double the
price. Or they could buy a drawknife and do it themselves. I am happy to say
I didn't get any takers.