Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Outdoor gate material

On 3/17/2010 9:41 AM, dpb wrote:

which are cypress. But I don't currently have access to a good local
supplier of cypress and am wondering what else I can build these out
of and keep the weight down. ....

One of the cedars is the usual standin for cypress; not a bad choice
probably for unfinished...of course, in the olden days redwood was a
no-brainer...

I agree about the cedar. Western red cedar in particular is much lighter
than PT pine and can be purchased in 5/4 widths for a bit of extra
strength. Makes good gates.

I also like the idea of gate wheels for this type of gate. I installed
one last year on 10' metal gate and it makes a big difference with both
sag and ease of use ... but BIG wheels are mandatory for muddy times. a
good set runs about $40 at most tractor supply places.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08