Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Repairing a sliding glass door

On Mar 17, 9:49*am, Harry K wrote:
On Mar 16, 7:45*pm, Ron wrote:

On Mar 16, 10:30*pm, Harry K wrote:

On Mar 16, 5:05*pm, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:10:13 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
Ah yes, sliding glass doors. *The guy who invented those abortions
should be hung!. *My wife insisted on one when I put on a big
additions. *I argued against it but lost. *We have _both_ been cussing
it for 30 years and I am about to bit the bullet and replace with a
standard door at a cost of around $1200. *Yes, ours was one of the
quality brands.

Maybe the problem was a poor quality install? Sure beats all the
cussing when installed correctly.

Constant cleaning of the track, reepeated 'replace the rollers' fun,
hard to securely lock, pee poor seals at best, etc., etc.

Harry K

Yep, properly installed.

If you had a properly installed Anderson sliding doors, you should of
had minimal problems, even if they are 30 yrs old.

The room that you built might have settled over the opening causing
problems.

You are in love with those abortions, fine. *I am not but then I am
pragmatic. *I look for "function" over 'design'. *Sliders fail on the
'simple solution', much simpler to put in a standard door to accoplish
its purpose.

Harry K

Where did I say I was "in love with them"? I'm simply posting my
knowledge of them after many yrs in the glass business.

What I don't understand is why you are paying $1,200.00 for a standard
door. You could buy a damn nice set of French doors for that much
money.