Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Repairing a sliding glass door

On Mar 16, 7:43*pm, Ron wrote:
On Mar 16, 10:29*pm, Harry K wrote:

On Mar 16, 2:23*pm, Ron wrote:

On Mar 16, 5:10*pm, Harry K wrote:

On Mar 16, 6:08*am, "Jean" wrote:

One of my sliding glass doors has become really difficult to open - it does
not glide smoothly, despite the track being clean. Based on the rumbling
noise when it rolls along, it is obviously time to replace the rollers. The
current rollers are maybe 13 years old, and the track is 20 years old.

From some web pages I've looked at, it is futile to replace the rollers if
the track is worn down. Has anyone tried a rail topper to fix the track, for
example: *http://tinyurl.com/ybuo5za

Jean

Ah yes, sliding glass doors. *The guy who invented those abortions
should be hung!. *My wife insisted on one when I put on a big
additions. *I argued against it but lost. *We have _both_ been cussing
it for 30 years and I am about to bit the bullet and replace with a
standard door at a cost of around $1200. *Yes, ours was one of the
quality brands.

Constant cleaning of the track, reepeated 'replace the rollers' fun,
hard to securely lock, pee poor seals at best, etc., etc.

Harry K

Doesn't sound to me like it was a "quality" door if you had that many
problems with it. They are usually problem free for yrs. Usually just
need to adjust the rollers. You could always replace it with an
Anderson.

Did you miss the "30 years" bit?

No, I didn't.

Replace it with and Anderson? It was an Anderson (I just looked).

So your existing sliding doors are Anderson's made out of wood?- Hide quoted text -

Nope, aluminum. You seem to think that replaceing rollers 2x in 30
years would be unreasonable? also on my third (laugh) "lock" handle,
2nd, so called 'screen' (it needs replaceing again). When you have
pets doors get a _lot_ of use.

Harry K