Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Still more on Prius runaway

On Mar 17, 1:16*am, mm wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:29:41 -0700 (PDT), terry

wrote:
On Mar 16, 7:17*pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:40:32 -0500, Dean Hoffman

wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/yeruhj7

* *The article is from Forbes. *The author is critical of the press
that swallowed the story hook, line, and sinker. * He says he found
several flaws that a newsman should've found.

As told in the article from Forbes, where it says he was afraid to
shift to neutral, afraid to turn off the car, if it's a hoax as it
sounds, how did the driver think he would get away with it? *

Maybe he didn't. I can easily imagine Toyota paying him 10, 20, 50G to
be a bogus complainer, to make all the other complainers seem more
likely to be bogus.

It seems somewhat paranoid every time some story that may have some
doubtful angles to suggest that thre is some as yet undiscovered plot?

Not to me. 50,000 is enough to buy an hour's time from a lot of
people, as well as any time he ends up spending with reporters later,
and any embarrassment he might feel by being called a hoaxster. *They
won't be able to charge or convict him of anything with what they have
now. *Even if they somehow find out about such a plot, and can prove
it, I think "filing a false police report" might be the most he is
guilty of. * Maybe he needs a new car now. *So they can throw in
40,000 more or whatever one of those costs.

snip

" Even if they somehow find out about such a plot, and can prove
it, I think "filing a false police report" might be the most he is
guilty of. "

Try again. If they prove that, then the charge will be fraud and he
would have a felony conviction on his record. Not worth 50,000 to me.

Harry K