Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default How to make Maple look like Walnut?

On 3/17/2010 5:43 AM, wrote:

I like your idea, too. Since stained "anything" doesn't look like the
real McCoy, it is professional suicide to try. I won't stand and make
excuses to the client as to why the two surfaces don't match. I am on
the same page of thinking, as I don't try to match a color or finish
unless I think I can. (BTW, maple will NEVER look like walnut. At the
end of the process, it will look brown, black, or brown/black, but
never like walnut.)

Every time a client answers the question about what kind of wood they
want the piece to be with a stain/color reference, like "light walnut",
or "golden oak", I ask no further questions ... that particular answer
automatically dictates the wood used.

When it comes to matching existing work, and being color blind myself,
my bid always includes my favorite paint contractor ... I'll let those
of you to whom color is important argue about it, I can't hep it!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08