Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Machining falling block passage Source for 4340 bar stock?

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:01:59 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:15:26 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:31:43 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
om...
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:59:59 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:
snip
I'd start with wirecut EDM, leaving about 0.005" on
each side, and finish with a shaper and lapping.
snip
How about making everything slightly undersize and the applying
Moglice or Turcite for the final fit-up. Should be a very slick
action and if the Moglice is only a few thousandths thick the
compression should be tolerable. Anyone know how Moglice/Turcite
is for impact loads? If it works on ultrahigh speed million
dollar machine tools, it should work on an small bore rifle
action.

I really doubt if they'd handle that kind of pressure, George. Their
compression strength for those loaded plastics really isn't very high.
If
you figure 40,000 psi over the cartridge head, and then translate that
the specific load imposed by the back of the block against the receiver,
it's still quite high. It probably would pound the block back over time.

We tend to think of big cartridges as being harder for an action to
handle,
but the fact is that small, high-intensity cartridges typically develop
more
pressure. Then the size of the cartridge base enters into it. But for
specific loads (psi), small, hot ones can be a problem.

.22 Hornet typically doesn't develop a lot of pressure. But a K-Hornet
can.

Didn't P.O. Ackley do some tests of forces applied to the breechblock?
I seem to remember having read something in one of his books. Seems to
me that they took a Winchester lever action, 92? 94? and tested it. If
I remember the final test was to remove the locking blocks and fire.
The bold staid close.

I have the feeling that the test might have been in support of his
"improved" wildcats with much straighter case walls but it was
interesting.

Of I have alzimers :-)

I don't remember Ackley's writings. It was too long ago for me. I do
remember the .218 Improved Bee and the .17 Ackley Hornet. They were two of
the crazy wildcats that I was nuts about when I was a kid.

Yes, a long time ago, which is why I "seemed to remember".

One of the reasons I liked Ackley's writing was that he was, perhaps,
the ultimate pragmatist. When some writer took him to task, saying
that the only way his "improved" cartridges obtained their higher
velocity was by using higher pressures. Ackley replied saying that the
average gun owner cared only that they (1) got higher velocities, and
(2) the bolt stayed in the rifle. Which I suspect is nearly a
universal truth.

John B.

Did you ever read _Twenty-Two Caliber Varmint Rifles_, by Landis? I had an
early edition and practically memorized it. That was another book I loaned
out and never got back. Sheesh.

No, but when I got interested in varmint rifles a friend had a 22-Krag
which was a full length 30-40 case, blown out to a less taper and
sharper shoulder necked down to 22 cal. It was a hi-wall with the
first Unertl scope I had seen and really pretty wood. Lord I lusted
after that gun.

After I shot with him for a while I realized that the 22-krag really
wasn't that accurate a gun although it must have gotten some bodacious
velocity as with his hotter loads the bullets would disintegrate in
flight, so I built a single shot mauser with a heavy Douglas barrel.
22-250 and after tinkering with loads it would shoot clover-leaf size
5 shot groups at 100 yds. and better then 1 MOA at 200.

John B.