Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default Design for my garage shop

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:30:30 -0500, "Dave In Texas"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...

There is one gotcha to watch for when using a 220 c'bkr in a load center
which, by design, can be used with both full size and mini breakers:

When using these load centers it is possible to insert the full size
220/240v c'bkr into two adjacent slots that are both fed by one hot leg
... the result being that you will get no voltage to the tool whatsoever.

Nothing dangerous will result, but you'll be left scratching your head.

Basically, just be careful when you install a 220/240v c'bkr that you put
it in two adjacent slots where each draws from a different bus. You can do
this visually.

And, I've got three-phase! Which I've never been able to utilize . . .
except once - by stupidity.
12 or 15 years ago I finally got around to putting in a dedicated
circuit for my kitchen refrigerator. Only I plugged that 20 amp single pole
into one leg of the three phase. WOW! You can't believe how bright a 15
watt appliance bulb can get. The freezer fan was the only casualty.
Fortunately I had an appliance repair man that made Sunday house calls.
And, that side-by-side Kenmore lasted 20+ years.

Dave in Houston

TThis sounds like you have a high leg service where one leg is 208
volt to ground.

Mike M