Posted to rec.woodworking
Chasgroh Chasgroh is offline

Default Shake, Rattle and Roll

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:12:56 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Did your house pass the nickel test?

Been surving quakes since the 70's when it was built.

They have developed a construction method that survives quakes.

Walls are studs covered by Celotex type sheeting on the outside
followed by chicken wire, then plaster.

First time I saw it, it was a WTF moment, then it was splained to this
dummy.

Lew

....one of my good buddies has a home in Laural Canyon that's been
hangin' on a hunk of granite for 95 years...bitchin' Craftsman that we
renovated for him...it's covered with 30 lb. felt and shingles and
goes thru these shakers like nobody's business. Wood frame is the
trick for residences, very flexy...when downtown started getting
higher than city hall (you know, Dragnet...) they ratcheted the codes
for earthquake survival and they keep making code additions apace...I
*still* wouldn't want to be in one of those high rises when a 7.5
hits, but if I was I got a feeling I'd be OK (many ride on HUGE
springs)...OH, and that stucco is strong like the dickins, Lew, used
to have a high shear rating but I think they've derated it...dunno
why, 'cause demoing that stuff makes you a believer for sure!

cg