Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default What sort of surface plate is this?

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

[snip]

I am hardly an expert, but I do have a Lapmaster-12 machine in my
garage.
Optical engineering is my profession and I want to convert it to
polish
glass.

Now, there's a machine that you won't find in many hobby shops. g
For
some
reason, I've always found lapping to be interesting.

I remember reading the account of Johannson sp? making his first set
of
gage blocks, and some years later, Dick Moore making his first set on
his
kitchen table, lapping them by hand.

These accounts would be interesting. Do you recall where you saw them?

The account of Johannson was in a book I borrowed from Mitutoyo's
collection. It was a rare book -- I don't recall the title.

Look at the bibliography of the Wiki entry mentioned below: does it ring
any
bells?

About Dick Moore, we had all of his books at _American Machinist_, so I
don't recall that one, either. I think it was either one of his first,
about
jig borers, or the late one by his son Wayne, titled _The Foundations of
Mechanical Accuracy_.

I think I have read this one. A coworker lent me a copy. It's still in
print,
sold by Moore, but at an astonishing price.

Joe Gwinn

Johannson's patent is from 1907 or so.

For a nice description of how such things were done 100 years ago, see
³Accurate
Tool Work², Goodrich and Stanley, First Edition, Eighth Impression,
McGraw-Hill
1912, 217 pages. The last two chapters are on the then recently
invented
Johansson Blocks, with microinch precision
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_block.

Joe Gwinn

That book sounds familiar; I think I read it around 30 years ago. However,
that's not the book that had the Johannson story I'm talking about. That
book had a title that said something about the history of metrology. Sorry,
it's not coming back to me.

You're reminding me that I have to call McGraw-Hill in New York and find out
what happened to all of the old metalworking books they had in their
library. M-H sold _American Machinist_ to Penton Publishing sometime in the
'80s, but the books that had been accumulated in the corporate library via
AM may still be there. Probably not, though, because M-H no longer owns any
metalworking magazines.

I'll call and check.

--
Ed Huntress