Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default More on that runaway Prius...

In article , Tony Hwang wrote:
camryguy wrote:
Ok, I'm probably going to end up through the ringer by people on here,
but thats beside the point. I am currently the owner of a 2000 Toyota
Camry LE 4cyl. with 213,000 kms. I know its not a Prius, but I tried
something with the car that surprised me. Recently I had all of my
brake pads replaced due to wear. They were squealing and old and
needed changing, but before I changed them, I did an experiment. I
took my Camry on the highway (rated at 100 km/h) and slammed on the
brakes while also applying the accelerator. The car stopped. I could
smell the brakes burning, and she didn't slow down as quickly as
normal, but the damn thing stopped. I know, there have been cases of
unintended acceleration that were deemed to be at fault to Toyota, and
I completely agree, but now, some of these claims are getting
ridiculous.

[...]
Hi,
Your car was not running away. Wrong analogy.

Oh, bull****. He proved that the brakes are perfectly capable of stopping the
vehicle even at wide open throttle -- which points directly to driver error
(or driver stupidity) as the reason for the "runaways".

At this point no one knows for sure of what is going on.

Only partially true. At this point, no one knows for sure why some Toyotas
_seem to_ suddenly and spontaneously go to WOT. But we *do* know that *when*
this happens, if the vehicle keeps going at high speed for an extended period,
*that* is due to panic, error, or stupidity on the part of the driver -- or,
as appears to be the case in the Sikes incident, deliberate action.