Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default I want to kill the weeds in my St. Augustine grass

Ron wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:15 pm, "
wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 14, 4:27 pm, "bob callaway" wrote:
What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?
St Augustine grass usually needs little help. It will choke out just
about anything if it is healthy. Best thing is to keep it watered and
fertilized and it will do its thing. St Augustine does go dormant in
the winter. If the weeds are coming up before it comes out of its
dormant period you can go ahead and spray with Roundup and it wont
hurt the grass. This gets rid of most weeds, wild onions and competing
grasses.
Jimmie
Yeah, well that depends on where you live, what kind of seeds are
being spread in the air, and what kind of bugs are present.
At the last home that I owned all I did was water my St Augustine lawn
and use some Scott's Weed and Feed once or twice a year.
In the home I'm in now, I've re-sodded it 3 times in 8 yrs, and as of
now I have nothing but weeds.....again And that was with watering,
fertilizing, spot killing weeds, bug treatment (mostly for chinch
bugs), re-sodding small areas that died, everything short of using a
lawn service. It's gonna stay weeds now. As long as it's green I have
other things to spend money on. F it.
BTW, in the cul-de-sac that I live in, one person that uses a lawn
service has a decent lawn, and she still gets brown patches every yr
for whatever reason. In my last home, there were never any brown
patches, and the turf was so thick you could walk on it with your bare
feet.

Resod 3 x in 8 years?!! That's insane. You in Florida? Sounds like
Florida lawns....we couldn't kill our lawn 3 x in 8 years if we tried
) Common mistake here is to treat for chinch bugs when the actual
problem is watering too much or wrong time of day so the lawn stays wet
too long. Water deep, early morning, 2x week. St. Augustine can look a
little wilty before it needs water badly. Weed and feed 2x year is
overkill. No lawn should need all-over herbicide 2x year. Slow release
nitrogen, cheap version, does very nicely.

My mom used indoor/outdoor "program" for pest control .. could smell the
malathion indoors with the house closed up. I don't worry about the
bugs that live outdoors, but kill the ones that come indoors. Our condo
had carpenter ant infestations all around the property and with two
units having bad indoor infestations when we moved here...cleaned up
dead wood in hedges, trimmed trees, repaired damaged wood on outside of
bldg., repaired damaged roof and the carpenter ants were gone and
haven't returned.

Yep, Orlando. Like I said, home 1 lawn fine with little work. Home 2
lawn sucks. No matter what I've tried I couldn't keep it alive. I'm
done with it. Obviously this cul-de-sac is just a bad area to try and
have a nice lawn. Had a neighbor that re-sodded theirs 2 yrs ago, and
now 75% of it is weeds.

You water with reclaimed water?