Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default For the wood experts - American White vs European Oak?

Andy Dingley
wibbled on Monday 15 March 2010 21:19

On 15 Mar, 19:31, Tim Watts wrote:
For various reasons, I'm possibly having to match some architrave in
American White Oak to European Oak Skirting

Anyone able to comment if they would be a reasonable complement once
oiled or waxed plus aged?

They're very similar. Both are Quercus robur as a species, although
oaks are a bit all over the place for hybrids anyway. Generally
American white oak is better than ours, particularly for quarter-sawn
with ray-flake figure. If you're building Craftsman / Stickley style
pieces, it can be worth seeking out American timber. Their maple's
better too, OTOH our walnut beats theirs and their ash or beech are
poor.

Interesting.

Watch out for American red oak (Q. rubra) Not the same thing at all!

Both will darken with age and so it's popular (particularly in the
USA) to ammonia fume them (the classic Stickley look). I'm a big fan
of this, and it's easy to do. Then wax over oil, or shellac over oil,
as a finish.

I've heard of that. Don't think I'd like to try with such large
quantities/lengths ;- Maybe a smaller piece, if I make something from the
offcuts.

The colour of the door frames I've previously installed, but not treated yet
seems to be mellowing quite nicely. I think I might install the skirting and
architrave and leaving it a while before final oiling to see what happens.

Chap next door has recommended Treatex which is a blend of oils and waxes,
so I'm considering that for the finish.

It sounds like I might be onto an acceptable solution doing the skirting in
European. I'll take a sample of my white down to the yard and see how it
looks against their european. The benefit of the local place is I would
rather buy the skirting in small batches, room by room. If I start poncing
about distance ordering, I'll either get done on delivery or I'd need to
store 66m which is a tad inconvenient.

Wish I understood wood!

Then obviously you need this!
Understanding Wood
R.Bruce Hoadley
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1561583588/codesmiths

An astoundingly good book. It's readable, and it will teach you how
wood behaves. In particular, you'll get to grips with the tricky
business of moisture shrinkage.

Ordered - I look forward to reading that - ta.

Many thanks

Tim
--
Tim Watts