Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Table saw speed

On Mar 15, 5:13*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
On 3/15/2010 4:28 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

On Mar 15, 11:27 am, *wrote:
"Father *wrote in message

On Mar 13, 11:29 pm, *wrote:

I have a low end Grizzly table saw which has a arbor speed of 4700. I
switched the motor and arbor pulleys so that the smaller one is now on the
motor. The saw now seems to cut much smoother and has more power. I don't
know what the arbor speed is now with the pulleys switched. Is there any
reason I should not keep the lower speed arrangement?

Higher speed gives a smoother finish. *Lower speed helps your
saw chew through harder lumber, like 4 x 4 cocobolo -- albeit
at a lower feed rate. *You can argue either way -- if your saw
works better with the pulleys swapped, keep them swapped.

You can effectively creat a smoother cut with a slower speed if you use a
balde with more teeth. *The slower you cut the wood the smoother the cut.

Which means less power to each tooth, defeating the
purpose of slowing the blade to gain torque.

For ultrahard lumber like coke, I'd be more interested
in getting it sawn than surface quality. *A plane or a scraper
will handle that detail quickly enough.

Torque is a function of diameter, not a function of the number of teeth.- Hide quoted text -

Torque is also a function of force. Diameter (radius, actually)
is only half of the equation.