Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default What sort of surface plate is this?

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

[snip]

I am hardly an expert, but I do have a Lapmaster-12 machine in my garage.
Optical engineering is my profession and I want to convert it to polish
glass.

Now, there's a machine that you won't find in many hobby shops. g For some
reason, I've always found lapping to be interesting.

I remember reading the account of Johannson sp? making his first set of
gage blocks, and some years later, Dick Moore making his first set on his
kitchen table, lapping them by hand.

These accounts would be interesting. Do you recall where you saw them?

Johannson's patent is from 1907 or so.

For a nice description of how such things were done 100 years ago, see ³Accurate
Tool Work², Goodrich and Stanley, First Edition, Eighth Impression, McGraw-Hill
1912, 217 pages. The last two chapters are on the then recently invented
Johansson Blocks, with microinch precision
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_block.

Joe Gwinn