Posted to uk.d-i-y
terry terry is offline

Default wire rope fittings?

On Mar 13, 11:20*am, JimK wrote:
concerted effort to defeat squirrels scoffing bird feed..

strung a 2mm diameter wire rope between two trees from which to
suspend assorted feeders etc...

However said rope is not level so anything hung on it will slide so I
need some way to anchor the feeders, preferably by creating "stops"
past which they can't slide??

I'm sure I've seen some kind of small "C" section clamps that I could
just slip sideways onto the wire rope and secure by tightening a small
bolt/grub screw - but I can't remember where I saw them or what the
rest of the world would use them for to start to look! -

Anyone know what I've seen? boats? wire track lighting?

Any other ideas?

Cheers
JimK

To put up a clothes line here we use metal clips which come in small
package. The open clips are put round the line and then squeezed
around the metal cored line with a pair of pliers etc.
Typically one makes a loop in the end of of the line, formed with one
or two of the clips and hooks it around something at one end. Then the
other end can be kept tightened to something substantial such as the
house or shed etc. We usually use a turnbuckle to keep line tight so
that even with a load of wet towels it doesn't sag much.
But there's no reason the clips can't be used mid span, one part
squeezed around the cable and the other part around some sort of a
stop or a very short piece of same metal cored clothes line to make a
'stop', or a loop can be made in the line using a clip.
Couple of points though; we use rope hung feeders and the rope on
which they hang can be looped around the line from which they are
hung.
A suitably strong point from which to suspend any line (such as a
clothes line or line onto which to hang feeders) can be made from a bi-
pod; two sticks tied or bolted together at the top. With the line tied
back to the base of a tree, fence post or whatever behind the bi-pod.
Need line tighter, move the two sticks closer together and/or slightly
more upright. One advantage also is the the bi-pod can be laid flat on
the ground in order to wheel a wheelbarrow or trolley, or drive past/
over it; without undoing the line.
We have two clothes lines not much used in winter and it is quite
possible to hang fairly heavy wooden feeders holding a pound or so of
seed each, from those!
Pretty sure those clips and metal cored line available in UK; had a
message exchange a few years ago with a radio amateur near the
Grampians (Scotland?) about using metal cored clothes line for radio
antennae. And those clips were mentioned.
Metal cored lines, unless the more expensive stainless variety, will
eventually rust out. But my Grampian Hills contact mentioned that even
in his windy and damp climate the cheaper stuff lasted (as radio
antenna/aerials) for quite a few years. And also had the advantage of
being relatively cheap compared to copper cable/wire!!!!
One of our clothes lines is about 6 feet off the ground, parallel to
back of the house and some short distance away from bedroom window.
Hooking up in a rough and ready manner even a cheap radio onto it to
we have on occasion picked up here, close to the most easterly point
of North America some European Long Wave radio stations, usually quite
weakly. So line served not only as clothe line it's also a make-do
radio antenna!
There was supposed to be a new LW station coming on air from the Isle
of Man, on 279 kilohertz, a few years ago? IIRC? Nothing much heard
since?