Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default 144,000 horsepower

On 3/14/2010 9:04 AM, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 3/13/2010 11:28 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:36:47 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

There's another aspect - I plan on posting photos and videos of whatever
I end up with, and I don't want any of that to be easily adapted for
pickup truck mountable fire control or weapons platforms.

No doubt _that_ has already been done six ways from Sunday. *Don't
sweat it.* People doing that would have lots of money to buy
sophisticated compensation units.

No doubt - but not by everyone who might like to have, and I'm not
inclined to provide a "how-to" for doing it on the cheap.

I'd prefer not to sweat it, but do. By way of explanation let me share a
short thread I saved (OP had a middle-eastern name and was posting via
Google Groups from the UK):

comp.lang.c - 2006 July 20-21
Subject: Center of Contour

start of thread

Speed:

Could you please tell me what is the most efficient way of finding the
center of mass of the area enclosed by a closed contour.

I have a considerable circular region with streaks coming out of it in
either direction. Basically i want to find the center of the circular
region but it is getting offset due to the presence of connected
outlier segments.

I am working with binary images only.

Morris:

It's not really a difficult problem; but the answer would depend on what
you mean by "efficiency". Are you looking for the smallest code
footprint - or are you looking for fastest execution time?

Speed:

I am working with a 120x160 binary edge image and by efficient I mean -
mostlly speed of execution.

Morris:

I thought it might be an interesting exercise. Including some #defines
to parameterize the problem, the solution took fewer than 2 dozen
statements. It was compact _and_ fast.

Pleased with myself, I leaned back and thought about possible/probable
uses for the code...
....and then deleted the files.

Sometimes life just sucks.