Posted to rec.woodworking
Evodawg Evodawg is offline

Default PC Router Collet Trouble

Evodawg wrote:

Anyone having trouble with Porter Cable Router Colet holding bits tight?

was routing a wood frame built to hide the edge of a beveled mirror for

large bathroom mirror. I do remember tightening the bit and all was

going
well with a 1/2" rabbiting bit/with bearing and without any warning,

(but
expect I wouldn't get any anyway) the bit went flying off damaging the
area I was routing and spinning to the other side and taking a large

nick
out of that side. This was an expensive piece of maple trim from Craft
Maid and to say the least I was ****ed! After a time out to calm down I
thought back and reflected I was really lucky not to get nailed in the
face by this flying projectile. This is a newer Router, 693 Porter Cable
using the fixed base. Needless to say, I torque the bit more than what I
thought necessary when I decided to continue. Wondering if anyone else

has
had this problem or was it operator error?

Thanks

Looks like I will be inspecting it more closely. And a good cleaning is in
order. This router collet was probably used three or four times before the
incident. I'm thankful I was not hit or injured but the customer wasn't
happy that his piece wasn't perfect.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !