Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_3_] Tim Wescott[_3_] is offline

Default Source for 4340 bar stock?

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
On 3/14/2010 09:55, Snag wrote:
Wes wrote:
Louis wrote:

What are you making?
Andrew VK3BFA.
Small rifle action @ 22LR / 5mm / 22WMR / 22 K Hornet
What type of action?

Wes
Enquiring minds want to know !

It's a bit odd. A cylindrical falling block design from Bill Holmes.
Roughly 1" wide, 2" tall, 4" long. The falling block, er, shaft, is .750"
diameter.

Frank DeHaas ("Mr. Single Shot") designed one like that many years ago, to
be made with a lathe, for people who didn't have a shaper to carve out the
rectangle in a conventional falling-block action. Supposedly, it worked very
well. I still have a falling-block action for .22 Hornet, a semi-replica of
a Farquharson, that I'm saving to finish when I retire. That may be after
I'm dead. g

I was talking to my neighbor about it, and there may be some EDM and heat
treating shops in the ares. EDM would make a rectangular falling block so
much easier.

Caution. I have investigated this at considerable length. I also was once
pretty knowledgeable about EDMed surfaces, although I'm somewhat behind.
EDMed surfaces under shock and tension in a rifle action are not a healthy
mix. If you want to know more, we can discuss it.

Can you fix that with shot peening or other treatments?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com