Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default The 22 Month Eletrolytics

In article , mm
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 01:19:31 -0400, mm
wrote:

having symptoms of a well-known problem with a
certain capacitor in the power supply.

So I forgot to ask, what is the well-known problem, and can you tell
by looking which capacitor in the power supply?

If you didn't figure it out by looking, how did you find it?

I can't always do much, but I can replace a power supply cap.

Well, I'm not happy to hear this because I have their DVDR 6765 (or
some 4 digit number beginning with 6) the latest one they've sold and
it's nearing two years of age.

The well-known problem was with the DVP 642. I found the info on the web site

An article there gave the actual part number which is printed on the
circuit board for that particular capacitor.

The URL, above, also has info on other Philips DVD players. Have a look.

--- Joe