Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default The 22 Month Eletrolytics

"Jeff Liebermann"
"Phil Allison"

Read what I wrote.

** I did and it was misleading.
So I improved it for you.

Ummm... thanks.

** **** you.

I said that ..

** There would be no need for you to completely re-write it if it was OK
the first time.

Fine.

** So the fool agrees he had to re-write his piece to cover up the earlier
errors.

when *NORMAL* cazapitors fail they
don't bulge but do have their ESR increase rather rapidly.

** Nonsense - bulging at the end of life in a hot environment is 100%
NORMAL for modern electros.

I'm staring at a 20 year old Motorola

** 20 years old is not "modern ".

Actually, you may be correct. Self-destruction and bulging just might
be considered normal for "modern" electrolytic cazapitors, but not the
older caps.

** Goody - one for me.

When the
basic tolerance on the cazapitor is -20%/+80%, an additional -20% loss
in cazapitance could easily result in a measured value of 60% of the
rated cazapitance.

** Fraid the ESR would have gone so high the electro cap would not be
doing
its job long before that.

Correct.

** Goody - another one.

I've seen some loss of cazapitance with high ESR cazapitors but not
all of them.

** Purely academic to even measure it.

Yep.

** Goody - another one.

ESR increase is a much better indication of impending failure than
cazapitance loss.

** Goody - this it what you missed previously.

Well, ok. I'll admit that your statement is a bit clearer. Please
don't let it go to your head.

** Goody - another one.

This is why service techs use ESR meters to find bad and failing electro
caps and not capacitance meters.

Yeah, yeah...

** Smug prick.

Damn right. I'm also arrogant, self centered, self righteous,
egotistical, and believe the world revolves around me.

** Goody - another one.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm

I bought the Dick Smith ESR tester designed by Bob Parker. Really
nice and handy (as long as I remember to discharge the cap before
testing).

** Bob designed the project single handed and " Electronics Australia "
magazine published it - that meant it was available for any kit supplier
to market as a kit. However the programmed uP was available only from
Bob.

Dick Smith Electronics was one of four retailers in Australia that did a
kit
and included the uP - one of them did not.

So the unit is the " Bob Parker ESR meter" or "Electronics Australia ESR
meter".

Ummm... thanks. Actually, I lied.

** Goody - yet another one.

Mr. Liebermann last seen crashing in flames over enemy lines ......

...... Phil