Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Table saw speed

On Mar 13, 11:29*pm, "Neal" wrote:
I have a low end Grizzly table saw which has a arbor speed of 4700. *I
switched the motor and arbor pulleys so that the smaller one is now on the
motor. *The saw now seems to cut much smoother and has more power. *I don't
know what the arbor speed is now with the pulleys switched. *Is there any
reason I should not keep the lower speed arrangement?

Higher speed gives a smoother finish. Lower speed helps your
saw chew through harder lumber, like 4 x 4 cocobolo -- albeit
at a lower feed rate. You can argue either way -- if your saw
works better with the pulleys swapped, keep them swapped.