Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default PC Router Collet Trouble

On 3/14/2010 2:49 PM, Evodawg wrote:
Anyone having trouble with Porter Cable Router Colet holding bits tight? I
was routing a wood frame built to hide the edge of a beveled mirror for a
large bathroom mirror. I do remember tightening the bit and all was going
well with a 1/2" rabbiting bit/with bearing and without any warning, (but
expect I wouldn't get any anyway) the bit went flying off damaging the
area I was routing and spinning to the other side and taking a large nick
out of that side. This was an expensive piece of maple trim from Craft
Maid and to say the least I was ****ed! After a time out to calm down I
thought back and reflected I was really lucky not to get nailed in the
face by this flying projectile. This is a newer Router, 693 Porter Cable
using the fixed base. Needless to say, I torque the bit more than what I
thought necessary when I decided to continue. Wondering if anyone else has
had this problem or was it operator error?

First thing to do is clean the collet thoroughly--I went after mine with
a .50 caliber bore brush and jag. Hasn't slipped since.