Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default GFI for a fuse box...

"The Henchman" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"The Henchman" wrote in message
We have a 1969 Fuse box, using 12 gauge copper wire, 100 amp service.

Long story short We were told by our home insurance and home inspection
people that in Ontario (Canada), there are no concerns with inspected
copper wired fuse boxes until they reach 50 years. So we are not
rushing to replace this box. However I wanted to install GFI
receptacles for outside, kitchen, and two bathrooms. There are none in
place now. We also have a 240 volt outside outlet to run a pool motor.

Can GFI work on fuse boxes/panels? if so, does that GFI outlet, when
tripped, mean replacing the fuse? Do all the GFI's have to be on the
same circuit?

Anyone have any advice on this matter?

The most expensive thing to do would be to use GFCI circuit breakers,
assuming you did want to replace the fuse panel. Just install GFCI type
outlets at the areas you want to protect, and do as the others recommend
for the 240 volt pool outlet.

Let me make sure I got this right. If not somebody tell me.

So I can use a GFCI OUTLET and that will give me protection without having
anything to do with the fuse box? It'll trip at the outlet only but
offers protection. I have fuses, not circuit breakers. I don't want
fuses blowing if the outlet trips.

If I can get protection at the outlet only, on a fuse system, that will be
a safe and sufficient solution? We will replace the fuse box for a
circuit breaker 5 years from now. Until then I want to avoid having to do
ANY work on the fuse box

You have it correct. Wherever you want GFCI protection, just install GFCI
type receptacles. It doesn't matter if the panel is fuse or circuit breaker,
the protection is built into the receptacle.