Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gus[_3_] Gus[_3_] is offline

Default Coax cable used for DC instrumentation

On Mar 12, 12:18*pm, Andy wrote:
Hello,
I am working with an instrument which outputs 0-5mV, and that signal
has to reach a sensing device 35' away. *I am concerned with noise,
and I don't think shielded cable will work well enough. *So I am
considering using coax cable. *But I don't understand coax. *There are
numerous "RG" ratings and ohm ratings. *Suppose I used RG62 with 50
ohm terminations. *What do I need to know about the termination and
the cables in order to properly use this? *What's the difference
between RG62 and say RG59? *What are the ohm ratings referring to, and
what terminations would I need for an ohm rating of 50? *Is there a 50
ohm load which gets put somewhere in the system? *Clearly I have many
questions. *Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Does your "sensing device" support differential inputs.. I would think
that would determine if twisted pair is the solution or not.