Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Update: 3.3V vs. 3V dilemma

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:38:02 -0800, David Nebenzahl
put finger to keyboard and composed:

To bring this little saga to a close, I built a little AC adapter for my
Fuji Finepix digicam: brought in 5 volts from a little Samsung wall
wart, put the regulator and an electrolytic cap in a film can on a
little piece of perfboard, and brought the power out to a 2.5mm power
mini jack.

The long and short of it is, the camera doesn't work on this supply. It
puts out 3.25 volts alright, even when plugged into the camera, but the
camera just sits there and does nothing. My suspicion is that the power
jack is just not quite the right size to make contact (or else there's
something screwed up inside the camera that makes it not accept external
power, which seems unlikely).

I had the same problem with a Kodak camera. However, I never bothered
to determine the cause, as I scored a cheap dock.

- Franc Zabkar