Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default How to make Maple look like Walnut?

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:35:45 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

In addition to the other ideas presented, I'd like to point out that
hard maple doesn't take stains particularly readily, and thus you're
probably better off looking at dyes instead.

I agree with Doug (stranger things have happened) that hard maple
doesn't take stains well. But dyes can be disastrous on maple as
blotchiness often occurs. I'm leaning towards a semi opaque or tinted
clear.

Put on a coat or two of shellac and then add the dye to the next coat of
shellac - problem solved. Dewaxed shellac and alcohol based dye of
course.

Definitely the way to control/get the color match. For in conjunction
w/ walnut depending on how it's finished may want to look at some
texturing to help camouflage the plainess of grain of the maple. Of
course, the job may not be worth the effort...