Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to make Maple look like Walnut?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:35:45 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

In addition to the other ideas presented, I'd like to point out that
hard maple doesn't take stains particularly readily, and thus you're
probably better off looking at dyes instead.

I agree with Doug (stranger things have happened) that hard maple
doesn't take stains well. But dyes can be disastrous on maple as
blotchiness often occurs. I'm leaning towards a semi opaque or tinted
clear.

Put on a coat or two of shellac and then add the dye to the next coat of
shellac - problem solved. Dewaxed shellac and alcohol based dye of
course.