Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default surface plate care

Robert Swinney wrote:

Many years ago when I worked at Teletype Corp. They would periodically send their surface plates to
a lab for calibration, refurbishment, etc. This was when Telex and other "wire" comms. were
standard and electro-mechanical devices had very close tolerances. I suppose tolerances are even
tighter now, but electronic gauging has probably replaced the need for some surface plates.

I have a Tektronix scope (453B?) that was originally sold to Telex.
They must have bought a bunch of them, because Tektronix silk screened
Telex onto the corner of the front panel when they were built.

It is similar to this, but it is 65 MHz instead of 50

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/scopes/images/453.jpg