Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Property question

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"LSMFT" wrote in message
On 03/14/2010 11:00 AM, willshak wrote:
LSMFT wrote the following:
If I survey my property line and dig a ditch around my property up to
that line, am I responsible for my neighbors land sliding into my
ditch?
Others have mentioned contacting your local building inspector before
you dig, but I am just wondering, what is the purpose of the ditch?

The purpose it so they will fall into it when they come too close. RIght
now they are taking over my property inch by inch with big trucks that
go in there and keep driving so close as to eat up my lawn on the
banking and making my lawn smaller and smaller. I think it would be
cheaper to dig a ditch than put up a fence.

--
LSFT

Boulders work beautifully, and they can be very attractive landscape.
Easy to trim around with a weedeater. All you have to do is water
them and polish them occasionally. I have some old satellite dishes
that are about two feet in diameter I have put on top of mine,
drilling holes and inserting three pieces of rebar for supports.
Brings in the birds for watching, or squirrels for stew. Yummy!

Steve

There's a fellow with land next to a beautiful lake in Eastern Alabama
who discovered that "No Trespassing" signs don't work for fishermen's
pickup trucks. He installed a line of pickup truck sized boulders that
can't be ignored. Not sure what size you would need for dump trucks.
Perhaps some axle busting cross ties 3/4 vertically buried linked with
some big chain?

TDD

3-foot pieces of railroad track welded together in tripod fashion work
pretty well, but can still be moved when needed.

Ask your local code guy. Do posts in the ground five feet apart, with
nothing between them, still count as a fence and fall under the setback
rules? You could always hang birdfeeders and pots of flowers from them.
If you wanna grind their noses in it, they sell those bright yellow
plastic caps to drop over the steel pipes, like around the pump islands
at the gas stations. 'Bollards', I think, is what the parking lot guys
call them.

I can't remember- do you have a good survey, and have you verified your
corner pegs? And have you read the deed closely, to make sure they don't
have an access easement across the strip in question? Around here,
shared mutual easements for the border strip are pretty common, due to
abutting narrow driveway lanes.

If you can post pictures and a dimensioned plat diagram (including that
half of neighbor's property) someplace, with a link back here, we could
maybe make some actually useful suggestions.

--
aem sends...