Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

Default Property question

On Mar 14, 9:46*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
LSMFT wrote:
If I survey my property line and dig a ditch around my property up to
that line, am I responsible for my neighbors land sliding into my
ditch?

What do you mean "responsible?" If you mean liable for damage to his
property caused by actions on yours, the answer is yes.

Suppose the land that slides into your ditch contained your neighbor's home?

If you dig a hole for a foundation that causes his nearby building to
collapse, you are civilly liable for the damage to his property - and may be
criminally liable for any deaths caused by your action.

If you plant a tree on your property (or build a structure) such that the
tree interferes with your neighbor's solar collector or TV reception, you
will be compelled to take down the tree. Likewise, if the tree was there
first, the problem belongs entirely to your neighbor.

In other words, you cannot compel your neighbor to take defensive measures
to protect his property in response to something you do on yours. Any
diminishment of one's peaceable enjoyment of their own property brought
about by actions of another are the "responsibility" of the other to
correct.

Plus, he may shoot you.

==
Would that be before or after half of his yard slid into the "ditch"
when the rains came?
==