Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI for a fuse box...

On Mar 14, 11:33*am, "The Henchman" wrote:
We have a 1969 Fuse box, using 12 gauge copper wire, 100 amp service.

Long story short We were told by our home insurance and home inspection
people that in Ontario (Canada), there are no concerns with inspected copper
wired fuse boxes until they reach 50 years. *So we are not rushing to
replace this box. *However I wanted to install GFI receptacles for outside,
kitchen, and two bathrooms. *There are none in place now. *We also have a
240 volt outside outlet to run a pool motor.

Can GFI work on fuse boxes/panels?

Yes, but they obviously can't be the type that combine a circuit
breaker and GFCI into one in the panel. The seperate type, eg a GFCI
outlet, which can also protect any other loads downstream, is fine.

*if so, does that GFI outlet, when
tripped, mean replacing the fuse? *

No, just the GFCI needs to be reset.

Do all the GFI's have to be on the same
circuit?

No, you can have as many independent ones as you need.

Anyone have any advice on this matter?

The only thing I haven't seen is a 240V outlet that includes GFCI
protection, but seem like they should exist.