Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default How to make Maple look like Walnut?

On 3/14/2010 1:42 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:37 pm, wrote:
On 3/14/2010 12:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I agree with Doug (stranger things have happened) that hard maple
doesn't take stains well. But dyes can be disastrous on maple as
blotchiness often occurs. I'm leaning towards a semi opaque or tinted
clear.

Agreed ... another option IME, would be trying a gel stain, which seems
to overcome at least some of the tendency toward blotchiness,
particularly with dark colors like walnut.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I have never used a gel stain. But if the blotcherization (*s*) gets
reduced, I'm all for trying that. Any brands that come to mind?

General Finishes ... the darker the better.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08