Posted to rec.woodworking
RP[_2_] RP[_2_] is offline

Default How to make Maple look like Walnut?

On Mar 14, 1:35*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:26*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , Jay Pique wrote:

I've finished milling all the parts for what I thought was a simple
shelving job, but I've now got an issue. *The client has changed her
mind about color, and would prefer that I had made everything from
Walnut so it would match her counters. *Anyone have any ideas on how
to dye and/or stain hard maple to look like walnut? *I'm not remaking
everything, and the client knows this, so we're just going to do the
best we can. *Thanks in advance.

In addition to the other ideas presented, I'd like to point out that hard
maple doesn't take stains particularly readily, and thus you're probably
better off looking at dyes instead.

I agree with Doug (stranger things have happened) that hard maple
doesn't take stains well. But dyes can be disastrous on maple as
blotchiness often occurs. I'm leaning towards a semi opaque or tinted
clear.

I would look at the tinted clears also. Minwacks has polyshades in 2
walnut colors. I found it with three clicks. Locally available too.
Let the client look at it online if you can. She can pick from there.

RP

RP