Don Phillips

Default Building a garage above public sewer (UK)

"JD" wrote in message
. ..
If these are just srvicing your residence then you may build over them as
long as you take the necessary precautions. I can't say what is required

for
your foundation because I have no idea what your frost line is or what

your
code says. You will likely have to frame it so that the wall directly

above
an parallel to one of the pipes is non-bearing.

If the lines are for public use (mains) then you should have an easement

on
your property and will not be allowed to build.

As always, there may be exceptions.

If there is an easement, you should talk to the City Engineer. You may be
able to build over it. In the US, the owner is liable for the cost of the
easement owner accessing the underground utilities. It could mean your
garage is damaged when the sewer is repaired some day and you would be
responsible for the added cost of them dealing with your garage as well as
the cost of repairing the garage. However, with no manhole nearby, the City
Engineer can work with to determine if you can built and what restrictions
and risks you will be facing.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E.
Worthington Engineering, Inc.