Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - compact fluorescent

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:25:44 +0000 (UTC), the infamous Larry Blanchard
scrawled the following:

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:34:49 -0500, SBH wrote:

Exactly. Fixtures/ballast have a maximum but seldom a minimum. The
listed wattage of a CF is usually the output but the actual wattage
being used is much less. Ex: a 65w CF bulb will use something along the
lines of 23 watts and a 45w bulb will use something like 13 watts.

OK I'll give it a try. Thanks to all for the responses.

BTW, my experience has been that on the incandescent replacement CFs, the
65W equivalent, 23W actual is indeed the case. For other CFs that don't
have ballasts and aren't intended as replacements, the wattage given is
the actual. At least for aquarium fixtures. A 65W CF gives a *lot* more
light than a 65W incandescent.

My 23W CFLs are rated at 100W (incandescent replacement value) and put
out a whole lot more lovely, blue-white light. None of that yellow
crap. Your figures don't track. Absolutely all the CFLs I've seen
rated 100W take between 23 and 27 watts.

--
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study
mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and