Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - compact fluorescent

Both are good choices. We had a yellow puffer fish that would
suck in a red snail and pop out the empty shell.
It was great when we got new plants from a tank that had red snails.

Martin

LDosser wrote:
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
OK, maybe waaay OT, but I've found a lot of general knowledge in this
group.

I have an aquarium hood that takes a 55 watt CF. One of the U-shaped
ones with 4 in-line pins. The fixture comes with dire warnings to only
replace with the same kind of bulb.

55 watts is too much wattage for the tank without some extra doodads
(mainly CO2 injection) - I get lots of algae growth. Eventually the
plants will win out over the algae, but in the meantime ...

Have also you considered an algae eater such as one of the mini sucker
mouth cats or a mystery snail or two? How big a tank?