Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Macy Robert Macy is offline

Default Coax cable used for DC instrumentation

On Mar 13, 3:50*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Robert Macy"

** Only true where the source has a common ground path with the receiving
device and an earth loop is created by the shield.

For a floating source, like a microphone, co-axial cable works just as
well
as STP despite not being balanced.

This is not a very well known fact and derives from the inherent symmetry
of
co-axial cable which rejects external magnetic field induction in a
similar
way twisting a pair of wires does.

However, in general, STP will be better:
Floating mike, somewhat reasonable, except...
1 if a person holds the mike, there is a connection to 'gnd', which
creates a gnd loop.

** *ROTFL *!!

* You are a real scream - pal.

* One red hot ****ing nut case.

2 if the shield is not terminated as a total and complete envelope
wrapped around ALL internals of the mike,

** Mics do tend to be wrapped in metal cases with metal mesh over the
capsule.

* You must *have a look at one sometime.

* If you ever stop wanking.

..... * Phil

1 prefer to stick to technical dicussions, where I can learn
something.

2 taken apart more than one microphone, designed several, even
designed one unintentionally, but it was six feet in diameter and I
was targetting a completely dfferent function.

I routinely work in the nanovolt ranges, the femtoamp ranges in some
very robust environments, also often 140 dB dynamic ranges, so noise
pickup is a BIG issue.