Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Pentreath Martin Pentreath is offline

Default wire rope fittings?

On 13 Mar, 18:13, JimK wrote:
On Mar 13, 5:50 pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

JimK wrote:
concerted effort to defeat squirrels scoffing bird feed..

A waste of time IMO

http://www.webtvhub.com/squirrel-mis...eo-squirrel-sh...

Colin Bignell

maybe but those vids are almost obviously intended to entertain not
actually prevent the feckers succeeding.

Witness the success of those plastic dome shields when sited optimally
- i.e. away from potential aerial "launch sites" that the furry
feckers can jump from directly onto the feeder....

Plus mine's a metal wire rope which makes it conductive.... :) fx:
manic laughter

Cheers
JimK

I went down the suspend-the-feeder-from-the-wire route - they learnt
to shimmy along the wire within 24 hours. I put plastic baffles (made
from flowerpots) on the wire, they learnt to leap from trees and
bushes. The only place in the garden I could suspend the feeder where
they perhaps would have struggled to jump onto it would have looked
ridiculous. The solution is to buy something like this:
http://shortlinks.co.uk/vw4
I've never seen such frustration and fury as when the squirrels first
found that the nuts had been imprisoned in one of those. They wasted
many fruitless hours rattling the bars.

I also got some proper traps for them (and I'm not talking about those
ones where you catch them and let them out again!).