Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Suggestions for best school for spray finishing

On Mar 13, 1:06*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 13, 3:35*am, wrote:

I'm really not interested in slepping beer and donuts 60 miles in the
hope that I can make new friends who might let me eventually learn
something from them. *

I let that comment go from an earlier poster, but don't waste your
time trying. *I am no high powered sanctimonious craftsman, but I do
have a sense of pride and what I do, and more importantly a work
schedule.

The idea of someone showing up with a .69 doughnut and a cup of coffee
(which I keep in hand in large amounts) asking for an education in
exchange for a couple of dollars of food is ludicrous. *The stuff the
hobby worker dreams of, I guess.

And why would you have someone work for you that takes away from your
work schedule? *Times are tight, dollars are tight, and I while I
would surely take the time to teach my neighbor about finishing
(certainly done that) and teach my friends about spraying (case of
beer and bbq more appropriate) I don't stop a paying job to screw
around with someone that isn't making me money.

I wouldn't stop a second to explain the relationship between adjusting
the pressure of the gun to the amount of paint coming out to give the
pattern you want. *Why would you? *Since this is basically a
production environment, why would you take your time and cut your
earning to teach someone for a doughnut?

I can't imagine wandering into an office somewhere and asking someone
if they would teach you to put together a Power Point presentation for
a snack.

Having more money than time I am interested in
someone who is a proven knowledgable teacher who will be willing to
exchange $$$ instead of donuts for a few days of looking over my
shoulder and explaining the right way to do things.

Now you are on to something. *Have someone teach you that can give
undivided attention, someone that has accepted that as his task. *You
pay a equitable amount, and you should get a commensurate amount of
education from the session.

I have read every book and film I can find on the subject. *But
obviously something hasn't quite clicked. *I am pretty much at the
point that I am re-enforcing *my bad habits.

I like Mike's comment about searching this group. *There are DETAILED
explanations on gun set up, understanding finish viscosity to
pressure, discussions on temperature affecting spray, techniques, etc.

In fact, as many years as I have been doing this type of work
professionally, it was actually Mike that got me spray polyurethane
the first time. *I laugh at how silly it sounds now, but it was a big
deal to me then.

It doesn't sound like you have the time to put into the craft of
finishing that you will need to be good at it. *Any idiot can shoot
goo out of a gun.

But really good spray finishing takes practice, time, materials, and a
lot of patience. *There are a lot of factors that come into play about
understanding materials, humidity, etc.

So, my original question remains.... Does anyone have recommendations
on a school for spray finishing. *

If you are looking to jump right in, personally I would try the local
community college and try out their paint and body course. *You can
learn a lot from a traditional car guy (like Mike M) that is
*directly* applicable to wood finishing.

Robert

Just yesterday, a young fella came into my shop and wanted a price on
a custom laminate top. He had a detailed sketch which included the
sink cutout, an irregularity along the wall, an angle at the end, a
cut-out around a pillar and a special brace for a dishwasher and a few
other details. So I worked out a price. He then asked me how much I
would take off if he installed it but I would still have to verify the
cutouts and include delivery. I explained that if I were to template
and manufacture this top AND dropped it off at his house, the plopping
it onto his cabinets would be free. But he insisted that he wanted to
do more himself. So I suggested that I would sell him the laminate and
particle board and he could buy a gallon of contact cement himself. He
then told me that that could get messy with the glue and sawdust and
all.
Then I asked what he wanted me to do about his dilemma. He wanted that
top, but didn't want to pay what I asked. He then said: "If you take
off $ 200.00, then I will let you install it."
I then asked him for his phone number and handed him a piece of paper.
"I will have to think about your offer," I said.
He wrote down his phone number and handed it to me. I, while he
watched me, stuck that piece of paper in my shredder.