Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Run away cars

wrote:
On Mar 12, 11:19 am, wrote:
On Mar 12, 11:03 am, wrote:

On Mar 12, 10:28 am, wrote:
But what I was responding to here was someone making a post saying
that they had scene reports that the transmissions were actually
designed so that they could not be shifted into neutral while
moving. I have surely haven't seen that and would like to see a link
if the person has it.
There are several instances of this being stated on answers.yahoo.com:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...153AAXey3Phttp...
...to name a few.
Yes, I know that's not exactly an authoratative source of information
but it's the best I can find. I tend to give some credence to
consistent intelligent-sounding responses. I take them with fewer
grains of salt.

Good grief. Not exactly an authoratative source? In yahoo answers
anyone can post anything. Those threads are nothing but pure
speculation without a single reference to any credible source of
info. And besides that, it simply makes no sense. Why the hell
would anyone purposefully design a tranny so that it could not be
shifted into neutral while driving? Engines today with electronic
controls have rev limiters that would prevent the engine from over
revving. Plus, I don't recall hearing reports about cars blowing up
all over the place because they can be put into neutral. What about
all the manual tranny cars?

Here's the latest news on the San Diego runaway Prius guy, from Fox:

On Monday, James Sikes called 911 to report that he was behind the
wheel of an out-of-control Toyota Prius going 94 mph on a freeway near
San Diego. Twenty-three minutes later, a California Highway Patrol
officer helped guide him to a stop, a rescue that was captured on
videotape.

Since then, it's been learned that:

— Sikes filed for bankruptcy in San Diego in 2008. According to
documents, he was more than $700,000 in debt and roughly five months
behind in payments on his Prius;

— In 2001, Sikes filed a police report with the Merced County
Sheriff's Department for $58,000 in stolen property, including
jewelry, a digital video camera and equipment and $24,000 in cash;

— Sikes has hired a law firm, though it has indicated he has no plans
to sue Toyota;

— Sikes won $55,000 on television's "The Big Spin" in 2006, Fox40.com
reports, and the real estate agent has boasted of celebrity clients
such as Constance Ramos of "Extreme Home Makeover.

It's amazing that when anyone makes the news, people start digging up
anything that they can find on them. That's probably why a lot of heroes
remain unsung, they prefer it that way.

TDD