Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Run away cars

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Jim Yanik" wrote

good reason to drive stick shift.
it's a really rare failure when you can't put in the clutch.

Happened on my '62 Corvair. Engine mount broke and slackened the clutch
cable. I still managed to shift gears and drive the car home, just
could not come to a stop. Yes, kiddies, it is possible to shift both
up and down and not use the clutch. It is one of those things you have
to practice, just like shifting into neutral in an emergency.

I had a 63 Dodge pickup the type built on the van chassis with the
slant 6 between the seats. The clutch rod broke and I drove it all
over the place to get home. If I had to stop, I would start it in
first gear and drive away. That happened during the fun years when
I had all the time and ENERGY in the world to tinker with vehicles.
Sadly, no more, I would love to tinker but just don't feel like it.

TDD