Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Coax cable used for DC instrumentation

Andy wrote:

Hello,
I am working with an instrument which outputs 0-5mV, and that signal
has to reach a sensing device 35' away. I am concerned with noise,
and I don't think shielded cable will work well enough. So I am
considering using coax cable. But I don't understand coax. There are
numerous "RG" ratings and ohm ratings. Suppose I used RG62 with 50
ohm terminations.

RG-62 is a 93 ohm cable. It has a lower capacitance per foot than
most other coax in that size because of its construction.