Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_3_] Tim Wescott[_3_] is offline

Default Just suppose .........

Steve B wrote:
I wanted to start buying gold jewelry for cash. How would I melt it down?
What would be my most cost efficient way of selling these pieces? Leave
them whole with the karat markings on them and sort the pieces? To who?
Melt them down and sell the block, and if melting, what would a guy use in a
rough shop atmosphere with just an OA torch? Or would a kiln be cost
effective.

Just sneak back into that little old lady's house and put the stuff
back, Steve.

My knee-jerk reaction to anyone who wants to melt a bunch of stuff down
for scrap -- make sure that there really isn't any value in it as it is.
Extreme examples of this would be Inca funeral masks or Fabergé eggs
or such, where it's worth $$$$$ as an artifact, but only it's weight in
gold as, well, gold.

But if you've already pounded it down to rough ingots so the cops can't
tell where it came from originally, then melting it down is the way to go.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com