Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29334 Ignoramus29334 is offline

Default Just suppose .........

On 2010-03-13, Steve B wrote:
I wanted to start buying gold jewelry for cash. How would I melt it down?
What would be my most cost efficient way of selling these pieces? Leave
them whole with the karat markings on them and sort the pieces? To who?
Melt them down and sell the block, and if melting, what would a guy use in a
rough shop atmosphere with just an OA torch? Or would a kiln be cost
effective.

It would not be the business that I would want to enter, or advise my
dad to enter, but it would seem that an O/A torch, a few high temp
bricks, and some proper crucibles should work out.

I see WE BUY GOLD signs everywhere. You will not suffer from a lack of
competition.

Secondly, I am not questioning your knowledge of gold buying or gold
scams, but hypothetically, if your expertise happens to have some weak
spots and the bad guys learn about it, it could become expensive
quickly.