Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_3_] Phil Kangas[_3_] is offline

Default Shop Humor: You're Fired!

Here's a story I wrote back in jan'06. I'll bet some of
you can relate, eih? phil ;))

Yup, you're fired! That's what happened in my shop today.
I was getting tired of junk crowding me out of work space
and today was the last straw! Who is the most useless
around here I asked. My attention was first drawn to that
old hydraulic bumper jack: what have you done lately that
justifies your existence? That jack says: well, I've
been holding your extension cords for some time now.
Holding cords? Your job is to lift cars by their bumpers
not hold extension cords! You're fired! Come on out of
that spot you've been calling home for so long. Come on
out of there, what's the problem here, stubborn eih? Who's
hanging onto your leg anyway. Hmmm, there's that gas water
pump tangled up and won't let go like it's losing an old
friend! Hey pump you don't belong here either so it's off
to living in the sauna for you! And out they went, the
jack to the woodshed and the pump to the sauna. Good
riddance! Back in the shop the next victim was a huge
electric motor: what have you done to justify your existence
here? I've been holding your spare weld cable. Holding cable
like the jack was holding cords? Naw, wrong answer, you're
supposed to make things turn with your power but now you
don't work anymore because you claim your windings are
shorted and I ain't taking that excuse to live in here so
you're fired too! Out with you and you get to live in the
snowbank out back till spring! Back in the shop the stuff
on the shelf was giggling and chuckling about those guys
getting the axe. Not so fast you shelf dwellers, you're
next! Your shelves are gonna get torn down to make room
for the press and the spare welder, at least they _do_
something around here. The 4x6 saw was grinning from ear
to ear hearing all this action and said it was about time
I took the law into my own hands and cleaned house! The
saw looked down at it's feet and all the junk iron there
and said you're next junkpile! I like the work the saw
does and apologized for letting junk pile up under it.
So now the other sectors are getting the idea and promised
to do better. Well I hope so, I'm a bit crabby about now.
Those books better get up on a new shelf or they are history
and that applies to all those chunks of round bar too!
Man, how long has this been going on right under my nose?
Who dragged this stuff in here, like the Malagutti engine
case w/o cylinder, the cow barn exhaust fan, the bag of
rags, the pile of rope tow wheels, deer antlers from '88,
a quarter gallon of lab grade hydrochloric acid, jeez...!
Where did all this stuff come from and who brought it here?
Anyway, the shop is feeling much better already! 05jan06pdk