Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Run away cars

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:55:39 -0800, Ned Flanders
wrote:

On 3/11/10 4:36 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Mar 11, 7:27 am, Rick wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Racing engine, shift into reverse. Probably throw a rod, and
destroy the engine. Might not be a bad thing, compared to
slamming a tree.

While one is understandably hesitant to actually try it, multiple mechanics
have told me that modern cars will simply not engage reverse while the car
is moving forward past a minimal speed.

I did it accidentally once on an american product. The car jerked and
then freewheeled after that. There was no damage to the engine or
tranmission. I suspect they have started to build protection into
them.

Yes, its called drive by wire. My car does not have a throttle cable or
shifter cable/linkage both are controlled electronically. The car's
computer will not let you down shift into too low of a gear nor will it
allow you to grind the starter if the engine is already running.

Just as a matter of interest, what do you drive?
And the "protection" was there before drive by wire.