Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne[_3_] Twayne[_3_] is offline

Default 97 Volts on Outdoor Outlet

In ,
mike typed:
On Mar 11, 7:48 pm, "O.B." wrote:
Our neighbor's house was recently hit by lightning. All
that we suffered were blown GFCI's throughout our house.
After replacing the GFCIs, all outlets are measuring 123
volts as normal except for one. The outdoor outlet is
measuring 97 volts and will not power anything. Any clue
what's wrong here?

I second the suggestion to check with both an analog and
digital meter.

Digitals meters often pick up parallel line voltage ghosts.

It's not whether it's a digital or analog meter: It's what the input
impedance of the meter is. My old Triplette with a mirrored scale will read
nearly the same voltage as my Fluke on similar scales because they have
similar input impedances on those ranges. A light bulb, any resistance
across the wires will kill the voltage if it's just a phantom voltage. In
fact, so will a 47k, 100k resistor and even higher, depending on the
situation. I use 47k; high enough to kill the voltage but not low enough to
quickly burn, even snap, if it's a real voltage for some odd reason. Phantom
voltages cannot light a light bulb's filament either; so if it glows, there
is a real voltage there.

Twayne`
--
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with